The Netherlands

As a fellow Dutch person, I will give you 15 facts on the beautiful and mysterious country of the Netherlands and as a bonus, some food and treats to try if you ever go there!

15 Facts on the Netherlands

1. There are over 600 museums in the whole country!
2. More than a quarter of the country is below sea level, including most of Amsterdam (the capital). There is a man-made dam around the county’s connection with the ocean, and if it were to break only around 2/3 of the country would survive.
3. Dutch people are said to be the tallest people in the world.
4. Although Dutch people speak Dutch, around 85% speak English as a second language.
5. We love licorice, making us the country which consumes the most in the world!
6. Holland was said to be the first to legalize homosexual wedding.
7. There are more bicycles than people.
8. We hold the largest flower garden in the world- the Keukenhof.

9. On every first Monday of each month, everyone sets off their emergency alarms as a check up.
10. We have a second Christmas! On December 5th, we celebrate ‘St Nicholas’ or the coming of Sinterklaas. Some celebrate this and not Christmas, but by now most people just celebrate both.
11. In dutch, Nederlands (Netherlands in Dutch) literally means ‘lower lands’ which by now must be obvious why.
12. During World War II, when there was a lack in food, the Dutch would feed on Tulip bulbs.
13. Told by the United Nations World Happiness Report (2013), the Netherlands was named fourth happiest country in the world.
14. KLM, the national airline is the oldest airline company in the world.
15. The Dutch national flag is the oldest tricolor flag. It was created in 1572.

Food and Treats to Try

– Salmiak drop (licorice). This is honestly my favorite candy on Earth but when it comes to any kind of licorice, either you hate it or love it.
– Stroopwafel. This is a soft flat waffle-like biscuit stuffed with caramel. Normally eaten as a snack or treat but its also great for breakfast.
– Pepernoot. This is a little round biscuit which is a tradition to eat during Saint Nicholas. Often it is also mixed with soft pastel-colored sweets.

Image result for pepernoot
www.pepernotenfabriek.nl

– Kroket. This is probably as Dutch as it gets! It is a thick sausage like roll. It is fried and covered with bread crumbs and filled a mix of mash potato, ground meat, cheese, and/ or vegetables. It is normally served with bread and mustard. In addition it is so traditional that it is almost impossible to find a restaurant which doesn’t serve it (apart from fast food restaurants like KFC or McDonald’s).

Image result for croquette
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/56576539038892525/

– Poffertjes. These are kind of just really small crumpets (Thick pancakes with air pockets) served with icing sugar. Still super delicious though!
– Chocoladeletters (Chocolate letters). These are large 3D letters made out of chocolate. They are usually eaten during the celebration of Saint Nicholas.
– Tony’s Chocolonley. This is actually a thick chocolate bar which comes in all kinds of flavors: Milk, dark, white, salted caramel, milk and nuts, coffee, nougat, honeycomb, coconut, licorice, etc…!

Image result for tony's chocolonely
DE CHOCOLADEREPEN VAN TONY’S CHOCOLONELY.
©TONY’S CHOCOLONELY

– Chocolade Hagleslag. Chocolate sprinkles usually are eaten for breakfast on a slice of bread.

Some more examples might be included in this video.

Work Cited:
www.pepernotenfabriek.nl
http://www.denoordoostpolder.nl/nieuws/49350/alles-over-pepernoten-het-meest-gegeten-koekje-in-14-weken-tijd/

10 jaar Tony’s Chocolonely: Teun speecht

2 thoughts on “The Netherlands

1. Wow The Netherlands sounds really cool! I never knew how interesting it was until now (I’m from the United States)! Also I had a stroopwafel on a plane before and it was so good!

2. Hey Agathe,

It’s Sarah. I have never been to the Netherlands, I really hope I do someday. You are SUPER lucky! Two Christmases?(what?!). Can you speak Dutch or just English? Also, what does pepernoot taste like? Does it also involve chocolate? The kroket looks REALLY good. Thanks for teaching me this. Check out my blog http://hmsela.edublogs.org/

~Sarah💜